Saturday, April 3, 2010

I'm the newest ingredient in Artistew!

It is with much excitement that I announce my partnership with Artistew! I'll be contributing articles on arts in education and creative education reform! Look for my pieces under the penname Imagination, Unstifled.  "Artistew is conceptually Artists’ Stew, the comforting savory escapist dish, and also tangibly where the Artist Stews, the forum. It’s a think tank for those of us with specialties to inspire, aid, warn, and collaborate about all things film and theatre." I'll be contributing articles on arts in education and creative education reform! Look for my pieces under the penname Imagination, Unstifled. Enjoy my introductory post, below!







New Ingredient for the stew!




by Imagination, Unstifled (The Crusading Beauty Queen)



As we advance in the 21st century, we must make creativity and the arts a priority in K-12 education.  Yes, you heard me. And no I didn’t misspeak. I didn’t mean “should”, “ought to” or “might want to”, nor did I mean “emphasis” or “option” or “elective”. “MUST” and “PRIORITY”. Exclusive development of linear and logical thinking capacities might get students a job in today’s workforce… But what about in 2026, when this year’s kindergarten class finishes their undergraduate degrees? The world is changing more rapidly now than ever before, and the only thing we can be certain of is that if we educate them to be creative, we educate them to adapt. We owe it to our students to allow them to develop ALL of their aptitudes.

I’m a teaching artist, arts advocate, actor, dancer, writer, and human who cares about our posterity. I’m also Miss Greater NYC 2010, and I’m using this opportunity provided to me by the Miss America Organization to shine a spotlight on the possibilities our nation has to make public education serve our students better. I look forward to sharing my thoughts about the future of arts education with Artistew!



-11:51a, April 2, 2010